Friday, August 6, 2010

Allergic to Hong Kong

Well, it's official. After months of intense sinus pressure in my face and a couple of severe allergy/sinus infections earlier in the spring, I finally gave up and went to the doctor. My head was pounding so bad yesterday. The pain was right in between my eyes and I couldn't even look at the computer. So for my lunch break I walked to the hospital clinic (which is located directly beside the university)and got in the queue. I waited for a couple of minutes and had to do my least favorite thing, step on the scale. I won't go into too much detail because that could be another whole blog post. The nurse asked me a whole bunch of irrelevant questions and she finally said go wait by door number 9. DOOR NUMBER 9?? OH NO! That's Dr. Lai Tat Chau, Douglas! The same doctor who admitted me into the hospital a couple months ago for stomach problems and was convinced I needed to have my gallbladder removed. A night at the hospital, CT and thousands of dollars later, he says he doesn't know what's wrong with me, but I can go home. Great, so I'm going to see this doctor again.

Anyway, doctors in Hong Kong have their own "office/examining room" and you go to them, they don't come to you. It's quite strange. So finally they called my name and I go sit at the doctor's desk. Luckily, I don't think he noticed me because I colored my hair and all white people look the same to the Chinese. I explained my symptoms and he looked here and there and said, okay you can go sit back outside. I leave, still wondering exactly what's wrong with me, because the doctor said nothing. As I walk back outside, there's a hospital employee taking a survey and asked me for my opinion on a couple of questions, one being "Do you feel as though you are well informed about what's going on when you see the doctor?" UMM HELLO, NO! Ironic considering Douglas over there didn't even give me a diagnosis or anything. The nurse later came out with my papers and the diagnosis: Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever. My prescription list was a page long and I feel like I could overdose any minute. All the medicine was apparently non-drowsy however, I fell asleep after returning back to work. I've NEVER had allergy problems, not even in the Texas springtime so this is all new to me. Needlesstosay, I'm allergic to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

  1. Funny bit about how all white people look alike to the Chinese. It's the other way around in the States, isn't it? Anyway, at least he gave you a diagnosis, and it's probably accurate...

    ReplyDelete