Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do Opposites Attract?

A few considerable differences between Ellison and I...

I've been thinking about this recently, how God really does have crazy ways of bringing people together. Although I believe we have free will in our choice of mate, it's amazing how God can bring two VERY DIFFERENT people to the same place.

City Boy vs. Country Girl

Ellison grew up in Hong Kong. A city the same size as Titus county, Texas but has over 7 million people. Mount Pleasant population signs only read about 15,000 within city limits!!



Chinese vs. American

Now, I'm not just speaking of race. Culturally El and I are extremely different. Chinese tend to have different views on family than Americans. For instance, after University it's not uncommon to move back home and take care of your family. You might even live with your family after you're married! American parents change the locks on the door the day after the kid moves off to college and only invite you home for holidays and special occasions! :)



Pigs Stomach Soup vs. Fried Chicken

As Ellison always says, "Inside, my stomach is Chinese." However, he did know this before marrying me. We like to eat different things. He needs rice or noodle at least three times a day and I rather have something battered and deep fried. My favorite is my momma's fried chicken, whereas he prefers his grandmother's pig stomach soup. GROSS...!


Bradfield vs. Chapel Hill

Ellison went to boarding school in England. Literally straight Harry Potter stuff. Sometimes they even had to wear capes. He played football against Prince Harry and lived in a house with other school mates. This is all something I would have never thought of growing up. Boarding school was just a place parents sent their bad kids to when they didn't want to deal with them anymore. I on the other hand went to your typical American small-town high school. Graduated with a whopping 60 people and had a prom just like everyone else. Definitely different.

UCL vs. ETBU
I chose East Texas Baptist University for my undergrad. Basically a small liberal arts school located an hour away from my home town in nothing Marshall, Texas. Don't get me wrong, I loved etbu. A lot of opportunities there and it was perfect for me.


My better half however, attended University College London in you got it, London, England. The difference in our two schools, well, UCL is now ranked 4th in the world and etbu has never been heard of... Ellison majored in History and Philosophy of Science.

Pronunciation and Spelling
Ellison being educated in the UK thinks he knows the proper pronunciation and spelling for every word and I like to say things like Y'all and Fixin' too. We're often getting into arguments about whether its basil or basil (pronunciation needed), rubbish or trash, trousers or pants,lift or elevator, etc..the list goes on and on...basically for the sake of our marriage, I've had to conform for the most part.

These are just a few of our biggest differences. Many of these are difficult at times, but we've learned that these differences make us a more unique couple. It's so amazing how God brings people together and I'm very thankful to have found Ellison! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment